View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Prove My Friend Wrong: Come Up with Ideas for an Economic Study

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't mean to hijack.

1) Does graduating in the top X% of a non Ivy League school or graduating in the top Y% of an Ivy League school lead to a higher income (X<Y). Could be solved to find out at which X and Y the average income are the same. Pretty sure it's been done before.

[/ QUOTE ]
The paper asks a similar question: Estimating the Payoff to Attending a More Selective College

[ QUOTE ]
2) Is there a correlation between interior problems and exterior policies (does unemployment lead to war). Needs to be done worldwide and even then the sample size might be to small.

[/ QUOTE ]
The most relevant things I can think of offhand are Andrei Schleifer's series of papers with La Porta, Lopez-de-Silanes, and Vishny that examine the relationship between legal institutions and economic outcomes and Daron Acemoglu's work on the relationship between political institutions and economic growth.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Does an increase in the number of children in a family lead to a higher rate of divorces?

[/ QUOTE ]
This paper finds that couples who have female children are more likely to get divorced: The Demand for Sons: Evidence from Divorce, Fertility, and Shotgun Marriage. One way of looking at the effects of number of children on divorce is to compare families that have twins to those that don't.

[ QUOTE ]
p.s.: econ: play more WW.

[/ QUOTE ]
I expect my WW partcipation to increase after I finish my thesis.