View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Las Vegas Small buy in Tourney Strategies? Lost?

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply. I am WAY to tight. That's my fallback position when I don't know what I'm doing, which is most of the time.

I hear people say they will never let themselves get down to 3BB's, which implies to me they are pushing with less than optimal hands somewhere. This is where I am lost, when I get below 10 BB's, I start feeling rushed to play a hand, but I really don't know how bad of a hand I should play or whether I should push my stack or what.

Damn, I just don't seem to get this game and it drives me crazy. I graduated Cum Laude, nailed the CPA exam in one try, taught myself architecture & homebuilding at the highest levels of detail/quality. Yet, I am apparently a complete [censored] when it comes to playing poker.

I need a mentor or a long post on "Low M play for dummies"

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to the good advice from other posters, I would suggest you spend time in the STT forum and play some SnG's. I too had read HoH and others, studied the MTT forum and my game did improve, but when I got the advice to get some SnG experience my game improved dramically. You can't win SnGs without learning low M/bubble play. You will learn that most winning players rarely play a hand (typically only JJ+AK in early levels) until they are down to 10BBs. And when they do play a hand, it is very, very aggro with big raises/bets/reraises etc.

When I do find myself getting short(10-15BB) I open push ATC from CO or later. Under 10BB I'm open pushing any Ace from any position and broadway cards from late. The big pushes almost always ensure folds.

As I stated earlier, I play these like SnGs on the bubble.