View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Should we abide by unjust laws?

[ QUOTE ]
But what if that is what I want if I believe the law is unjust? I thought you meant that I would be outside of the protection of all laws, not just the law that I am breaking. I would be fine with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do in fact mean the whole law. Did you think I was only considering whether it is good to break "unjust laws" (which apparently for you are things like jaywalking and the legal drinking age - lol) based on the calculation of your instant punishment vs. gratification? That is precisely what is wrong with your beliefs. You have no respect for the small within the great, which indicates you are simply unaware of how great that which you tread on so lightly may be. Of course, it isn't all that powerful anymore. The lion is shaved and bound and this thread is part of that disease.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I would say that there is always a 'better' and a 'worse' but not necessarily a right and a wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

By what standard are things better or worse?

[ QUOTE ]
If you gave me a specific instance of child molestation or something like that maybe I could give you an answer about whether it is right or wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying to point out the absurdity of claiming that no singular act can be ever called right or wrong. That you want an example of a child molestation to tell me whether is right or wrong is really missing the point. It is always wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure there are some things that I would say are "always right" or "always wrong" but I'm fairly sure there are very very few of these situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is false. I think you haven't really thought about it long enough, or looked for an education in the subject.

[ QUOTE ]
Did you not choose this ultimate moral law though? Where did you learn it from? How can you be sure it's accurate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I choose to obey it. That is the extent of it. I choose to be a good person and obey the moral law. It is not mine, I am pledging myself to it. I didn't invent it or colour it to suit me. It isn't my own idea or catered to my particular faults and desires. It is simply there, and has been for a long time, and I can see that it is nobler than my insignificant reasons for breaking it. I also can see clearly (thankfully) that is much better for my soul to be morally good than to calculate my personal advantage before acting according to the moral law.

How can I be sure it is accurate - I don't think it really needs much defense, I was aware of the moral law long before I understood why it is accurate and have found that following it reveals plenty. Sometimes my explanations for why some things are as they are turn out wrong, but the moral law stands untouched. It doesn't depend on my ability to divine it.