View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Hawai\'i Travel Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Good timing. I am heading to Maui for the first time in October with my wife and another couple. We have not found a condo yet. I would love to hear impressions about what town to stay in on Maui. Our main desires are to have a place we can cook, have some grocery stores nearby so we can stock up on food easily, but also have some restaurants we can go to nearby as well. Plus, of course, places within stumbling distance for cocktails.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say stay on the west side of Maui. Lahaina is the main shopping area there.... charters for deep sea fishing, whale watch tours etc. Lots of restaurants, shops etc in that area. (there is a shuttle for cheap to get you back to kanapali area about 10-15 minutes ride)

If it is still there....you MUST try the grilled calamari appetizer at Maui Brews. Such a change from the deep fried mounds of grease you get at any other dining establishment.

Rent a jeep for the road to Hana. Top down, cooler with lunch and a couple beers (you do not want to drink more than two if you are driving) and drive it from west to east on the southern shore. You will be oceanside as opposed to cliffside so its a bit more dangerous, but damn its great.
Stops along the way should definitley include the "seven pools", the winery is OK but dont spend a ton of time there. Little beach is a nude beach not far from the winery...if you have binoculars, might want to check the scenery from there. Otherwise just stop at the places you want. There are small churches out in remote places, waterfalls, and other very scenic places. Plan on this trip taking one full day from morning til about dinner time. It will be the most incredible drive of your life, and will never be forgotten.

A nice place for a drink is the second floor restraunt just across the street from the huge Banyon tree in Lahaina. (you cant miss the tree, it takes up a city block) Open air and nice atmosphere.

If you like to snorkel, ask someone where "Blackrock" is. The hotel staff and locals will know where to point you.

I would recommend a whale watching tour, but I think the best time is from December til about March, deep sea fishing is an option....hook a marlin.

If you have the funds, a heliocoptor tour is awesome. They are not cheap, but IMO it is money well spent. Dont go for a 25 or 30 minute ride though, spring for the 45 minute and up tours. The short ones are going to take up most of the allotted time on the "way there" and the "way back"

Other than that, enjoy and have fun.