View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Is it bigoted to denounce Islam as immoral and even \'disgusting\'?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I'm pretty shook up right now. Earlier, in a heated debate I caused a woman to run out the room screaming I was a 'bigot' for saying Islam (I also mentioned Catholicism) is inately evil and its preachings disgusting and immoral- and before her going crazy saying I 'hate' Islam (not Muslims).

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to think that it's not bigoted--I don't know much about Islam, but it is a religion that is built upon a set of principles/beliefs of some sort, no? If this is the case, and the fundamental principles of Islam had evil content (or called for evil actions, etc.), then why wouldn't one call it evil? (not saying that Islam does have evil content, I wouldn't know one way or the other)

Do you think it would be bigoted to call Marxism evil? Or ACism? Or utilitarianism?

I don't know, maybe there's a difference here that I'm missing (e.g., what makes religions exempt from the criticism we can foist on other philosophical 'isms'), but I think we can judge religions on the degree to which they match what is objectively good and evil.