View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: .25/.50 lo/8, simple hand, I might be overthinking

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a fold. To begin with, you don't have 9 clean outs - some of your hearts (the 6 and 8) enable a full house. Second, just as you noted, you only get half the pot even if you make your flush. A good rule of thumb would be: once the low is made, don't draw to the flush on the turn unless there's 10BB in the pot when it's your turn to call, *and* you're closing the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. Pretty boneheaded move by me to forget the possibilities of the full-house. Thank you for pointing that out.

Could you please also explain how the 10BB rule-of-thumb is derived? It's always great to know guidelines for specific situations, but it's even better to be able to apply certain learned concepts to different situations.

For instance, how might I approach this situation if the low hadn't have been enabled o the turn? How would I go about deriving the necessary odds?

Returning back to this particular hand, I’ll try laying out some thoughts here and perhaps someone can correct me.

On 08poker.com, Greg suggests multiplying by .4 rather than .5 when going for half of the pot because half of all bets you make end up going to the opponent.

In this particular case I had to call .50 into a 3.50 pot. 7:1 * .4 = 2.8:1. I would then factor in implied odds, but I am at a loss for how to quantify this figure. Buzz suggests 4.25 to 1 implied odds, but I must admit to not quite understanding how one arrives at this figure. I would then compare this to the 5.3 odds necessary to draw to 7 outs. This seems to align well with the 10BB rule-of-thumb you posted, seing that I divided by two earlier in my analysis.

Perhaps my entire question could be boiled down a request on how players such as yourself go about calculating necessary pot odds and implied odds in a split-pot game? For instance, if the low is enabled, do you first multiply the amount of money in the pot by .4? What if there is one low to come, should I multiply by .55, .6, some other figure? I assume you do NOT simply divide the ODDS in half. ie whereas normally 4 outs= 9.09% = 10:1, I could not simply say I need 20:1 if I am drawing to half the pot.

Whew. Sorry for this long post. If it seems like I am going in circles it's because I am. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just want to get these concepts down solid. I figure learning once-and-for all will save this forum a lot of future posts from a relative novice such as myself! You know, that whole teach a man to fish analogy.