Thread: Boondock Saints
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Boondock Saints

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OMG, the self-indulgence of that post is dripping on to this one.

[ QUOTE ]
In the case of a movie, being irreverent of the pervading cinematic atmosphere is a requisite of making any classic film.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it's not, and that's why your argument falls apart.

EDIT: No mention of "the pervading cinematic atmosphere" was even made in respect to "irreverent." He could have meant irreverent toward the current social atmosphere, previous film norms, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're just wrong, and what do you mean self-indulgent?

I really want to know what you mean, but instead of engaging in a vitriolic tirade, I'll address your ill concieved idea.

No movie can be considered a classic unless it was a challenging work, not a cookie-cutter production. Go ahead and debate me on the point that great movies push the envelope. They do, they challenge norms and present issues in new ways, and with new attendent opinions. To say that a movie bears these characteristics is to say that it is exactly what I said: Irreverent to the pervading cinematic atmosphere. No 3:50 pop song is going to match he best of Jimi. Making a perfect Hitchcock-esque production will establish you as a copycat, even though these types pf films were cutting edge in their day, not cookie-cutter.

I'll stop, just tell me how I'm wrong here.

I'll not be on for some days, my weekends are not weekends and as such I will have no chance for debate with you fine folks.

Cam

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, when I used the word in the first place, it was done so tongue-in-cheek. Did you not sense the fact that at that point, I was referring to how OTHER PEOPLE seemed to perceive the film? If I'd have said "feelgood event of the summer," would it have been easier for you to grasp?

Secondly, you have some peculiar ideas both about how this word is used and about what qualifies a film as "classic" or "great."

To categorically state that a movie must be "irreverent" to become "classic" is just plain silly.

I was going to go on and on a bit here, but have decided against it.

Happy Independence Day.