View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Countering the Chronic 3-bettor

I believe that stealing > 40% is incorrect against players who play back aggressively. So you must tighten up your range and pick your stealing spots with marginal hands.

Second, I believe that they are making a mistake 3-betting often from the blinds. They are building a big pot OOP with hands that will miss the flop a lot. So you must show constant tempered aggression after the flop. Release your truly hopeless hands but really pound on them and use your ability to read their hands to get maximum value when you have something and scale back your aggression as soon as you realize they are headed to showdown with a range that is beating yours badly.

A simple beginning strategy is to peel a lot of flops when you have reason to continue on in the hand, and then raise a lot of turns if the player is aggressive enough to keep betting OOP until facing resistance. You will basically put him in a really tough spot a lot.

This advice is all based on the idea that your opponent is going to fold from time to time. Once you sense that he is frustrated by your aggression and feels like he has to showdown any and everything, cut back your bluffs. Valuebet the heck out of your made hands and make him pay 3.5 BBs to see that you have something.

Lastly, I read your post as mostly referring to 3-bets from the BB. These are less common -- as 3-betting from the BB is usually not very desirable. Against a 3-bet from the SB the same advice applies if he is 3-betting light here. But I wouldn't be as quick to assume SB is playing back at me unless he has done it a lot in other positions as well. Usually SB 3-bets of blind steals are rather legitimate hands.

Things get trickier against a BB who doesn't 3-bet any of your steal attempts and checkraises the flop a lot. If you are too loose in your steal attempts you can be put in a lot of tough spots. Raising marginal hands can still be profitable but you are going to have accept a high amount of variance to reach the point where your profit is going to show for sure.