View Single Post
Old 07-03-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Microlimits NL: Where to start?

Hi,

I'm not sure if this belongs in Micro NL or here, but that forum seems more tightly moderated.

I played Limit 2/4 and $22 Sngs for about a year before I got into sports betting. I have recently cashed out so much of my sports betting roll to buy a house that I need to return to poker, and I want to play small stakes NL.

I need to start at microlimits to work on my game, and I am wondering where to start. I am still tremendously overrolled for my skill level, but just want to start at a reasonable level and move up quickly as my skills progress.

I am not sure where to start. Is NL 25 a good place? NL 5 or 10? I have been historically profitable in NL sngs at the like 16-22 level, but there is little emphasis on postflop play in those, obviously.

If I should start at something really low like NL 5 or 10, how many hands should I be looking to play before trying the next level? I don't need to grind up a bankroll to hit the next level, but am willing to do that as an exercise if it's not overkill. I originally started at like .5/.1 LHE and ground my way all the way up, but it wasn't much fun and I could've moved up sooner.

I understand the basic preflop parameters for full ring NLHE, know to be nervous about getting all in with TP, understand that I probably don't need to be fancy to beat low limits, etc. but don't really have much depth to my game in terms of hand-reading and postflop play.

Any advice about where to start is appreciated.