View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Should we abide by unjust laws?

[ QUOTE ]
how does this "set me outside of the law's protection"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Through spreading an attitude about the law that must erode it. No you won't magically be outside protection immediately, but that's not what you should care about most really imo.

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there also a right and wrong that is not dependant on a situation? Or is there an idea of right and wrong which is the thing checked on for guidance in each situation, to come to the "right" choice?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any singular act is always right or always wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not any singular act at all? You mean you can't think of any singular act that can ever be said "is always right"? What about that children ought to be treated justly? Or a woman should never be murdered by her husband?

Or maybe you mean that multiple actions are required to produce a "right action"? I don't understand.

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't we try to understand the spirit of the law though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. But you asked if we should abide by unjust laws. I was trying to introduce you to the huge dialogue that it leads to. You didn't say "is jaywalking bad for my friend?" or "is drinking before your 21st birthday bad for me?" That issue of the laws and politics and the question of justice is more interesting.

As for morality and self, rules becoming mine, I think rather the moral law owns me than vice versa. It was around before me and will be around long after I'm gone