View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Should we abide by unjust laws?

[ QUOTE ]
A moral code is simply an internal system that tells you what is right and wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is right and wrong then?

[ QUOTE ]
His
morality tells him that all laws must be respected and followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes -

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that we should respect all laws, but I realize that some laws have been made into political issues and don't carry much validity.

[/ QUOTE ]

i.e., you are aware that there is such a dilemma as whether it is right or wrong to obey unjust laws, and have an opinion based on who knows what. So does he, right? It just is a different opinion. He thinks it is more important for the law to be respected above personal judgement - he thinks it has authority. You don't break laws because either you agree with them, or you fear the consequences. He doesn't break laws because they are laws, and laws should be respected. I don't know him personally but don't assume such people are foolishly obeying silly laws. There is a whole process of reasoning associated with lawful convictions which you haven't shown any understanding of yet. Do you think ceremonies are foolish? Or what about laws such as those requiring a citizen to stand for national anthems, or attend school until a certain age?

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of take offense at your statement that he lets morality guide his life and not his desires.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise you not do do that, no offense is there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
This seems to be implying that somehow I am an amoral person who bends his beliefs at a whim.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't do that, you're seeing phantoms. I gather anyone asking questions like "Should we abide by unjust laws" has a moral character. Criminals don't ask for permission or for speeches.

[ QUOTE ]
Presumably your moral code is to follow whatever Christianity tells you. Just because you've adopted a singular outside moral code doesn't mean that it isn't yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong presumption, firstly. The second sentence doesn't make sense to me.