Thread: sicko
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: sicko

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i saw this tonight, pretty moving. anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that being moving is all the movie has. Its just a collection of stories of people getting screwed by the crappy health care system we have in the U.S. Its like a really long episode of dateline. It doesnt offer any solutions to the problems or any information on why exactly the system sucks. The system sucks because people are getting screwed I get that, but thats not enough information for me. If you like dateline, which I do, then you will like this movie. I thought it was ok, but then again I like dateline so I am biased.

Edit: I said it was ok, but not great or even good because it didnt give any useful information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you actually watch the whole movie, or did you walk out after 20 minutes? No more than half of the movie was stories of people getting screwed. The other half was showing how health care worked in Canada, England, France, and Cuba. These are the "solutions" Moore had in mind. He says the system sucks because it is motivated by profit, and we should remove this profit motive entirely.

I wouldn't claim that Moore presented the health care systems in other countries in a completely objective light. But I didn't think it was at all unclear what he thought the underlying problems and solutions were.