View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Should we abide by unjust laws?

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I dunno, the basic problem I have is he needs a moral authority. That could be his pastor, the state, or God. How do I explain to him why I don't think an outside moral authority has any more validity than my own moral code?

Everyone follows their own moral code including him. His moral code just happens to be that he should obey the law, presumably he considers that its better to obey bad laws then to break them.

chez

That's a brilliant way of putting it.

It's a dull way of putting it an it evades the question. What is a "moral code" and why does your friend think the laws are important enough to respect? Should they be? What is the correct way to deal with unjust laws? Regimes? Men? What about the fact that he thinks morality is important enough to guide his life, instead of his desires? What is the significance of the idea that one needs to be master over one's self? What about moderation vs. eros?

The questions aren't answered at all. It amounts to saying nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]
It answers the question that was asked. Admitedly it was a dull question generated by someone (not the op) who hadn't thought about what he was claiming.

chez