View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Why do we hate donkeys?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From reading people think deeper than I do, I read maximum value plummets at poor player number six.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you mind quoting your source there, Mike? I believe your claim is incorrect, and would always be happy to back that up by sitting at the 10-donkey table rather than the 6-donkeys-and-4-tags table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mason had a couple of essays about this in The Theory of Gambling (not sure if the title is 100% correct) or in his Poker Essays. I think the point was mainly that after a certain number of loose-passive players your expectation doesn't go up much. After X number of donkeys each additional donkey doesn't add very much to your overall winrate, they mostly just lose money to each other (and you get a cut of it). However your standard deviation goes up fairly fast with each additional donkey. So a table of 9 donkeys vs a table of 5 might increase your winrate marginally, it will increase your standard deviation a lot, and the trade off is probably not worth it to most players.

*Its completely possible I misinterpreted the essay, but I think thats what it was saying.