View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Ask a Comic Book Store Owner

[ QUOTE ]
How much start up capital did you need to open your first store? and how much can you realisticly pull in per month?

[/ QUOTE ]

My situation was unique opening up as I partnered with an existing store and also had a web business where I built inventory before opening. Starting a store from scratch, if you don't have at least $100k you're wasting everyone's time, I'll tell you that. If by "pull in" you mean personal income (as opposed to company revenue) I know guys who earn in the 60-80k range. You'll never get rich in this business, but if you love it, you can make decent money and not be stuck in a cubicle all day (which is why I'm here)

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still see younger collectors coming into your store to buy comics or is manga taking over?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! One of the great myths of this business is that kids don't care about comics because of TV/videogames/ipods/whatever. Lots of kids are interested, they just have to find a store and a staff ready to sell them what they want. I give out comics for Halloween every year at home instead of candy, and the kids flip out.

That said, a lot of kids are ALSO getting into manga, which sells very well. I view it all as comics, so as long as they're enjoying themselves, doesn't matter to me if they're buying Spider-Man or Naruto.