View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Naked people in locker rooms

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm the only 40+ guy to respond. I think the age issue is significant.
Back in the old days, a lot of men joined the military, where you showered together every day, like it or not.
When I was young, I had a gym teacher who said that if he had his way, we would all swim naked when we had pool. If you didn't show up with a swimsuit, you still had to go in anyway. I think it was equality kick, how we're all the same under our clothes. It was like it was a public shower in Japan or something. I, for one, am glad those days are over. We went overboard in the old days.
We were supposed to get over our bashfulness. And if you didn't want to take a shower in front of other people, you were some kind of sissy.
Everyone took a shower after gym class, and I remember even our gym teachers joined us sometimes. It was the old school attitude.
I notice now, after coaching basketball for a few years, that no one takes a shower after practice, they just go straight home.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been in baseball for a little while now and myself and my teammates aren't over 40 but we obviously all shower after games. If there is a rookie/young guy, fresh out of college that is on the team they will sometimes not shower at first but we fine him until he showers b/c that is f'ing gross, especially on the road, we don't want his nasty, sweaty ass sitting on the bus w/ us for hours. Plus, how can you sit in your own stink, that is weird to me.

We all shower and we aren't bashful or anything but gyms are uber gay. We shower and then we go back to our locker and put our clothes back on like normal people--like you would if you were at home. Two guys sitting naked on a couch (no matter the age) or two naked guys just standing there chatting it up is f'ing weird and a level of personal space that I just can't comprehend. It has nothing to do w/ another dude seeing me naked (I don't care about that), it is that I don't think if Old man Harold went over to Old man Theodore's for a cookout or something and they played a nasty game of HORSE in the driveway and had to shower up--I don't think they would watch TV naked afterward b/c that would be gay and awkward and just b/c it is a gym doesn't make it ok.