View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Re: San Diego = Vegas For Under 21

[ QUOTE ]
will somebody tell me what this means i'm not too good at legislation-speak

[/ QUOTE ]
The paraphrased summary: minors aren't supposed to drink in Michigan.

The longer version. They're pissed off at the young hooligans who flouted the law for so many years. There was no effective means to enforce MIP since the only penalty was fines and education and there were no penalties for failing to pay the fines and do the education. They're fixing this.

Ethanol above 0.02% in your blood is now adequate for a MIP charge and conviction. The only defense to having a high BAC level is "I drank it legally while in Canada or Wisconsin" but you can still be busted for it; it's up to you to present this defense at trial. And you can still be convicted for driving with a BAC > 0.02 if you're a minor even if you DID drink it legally elsewhere.

The only defense to actually possessing the booze is "it was required for class" (I presume chemistry labs and whatnot) or "it was part of church services".

Get caught a second time after having skipped out on paying the fine or doing the education or community services they demand of you and you can go to jail now.

A single MIP conviction will not go on your record as a misdemeanor if you do everything you're told to do.