View Single Post
Old 06-29-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Set mining against short stacks.

Right, that's what I mean - and honestly even under those circumstances I'm still not sure 10-to-1 is enough.

I usually let the smaller pairs go in the UTG spots if I'm playing full ring (at least in most games I play in), but from other positions or 6-max I'd open raise. Then, if a shortstack with the kind of chips were talking about re-pops me, I have a little more to work with.

Right away, I try to re-evaluate where I might be at depending on the player, and what I think is general range is to 3-bet me here. If I think there's a reasonable chance I'm not against a higher pair (say if this guy might be 3-betting a little light from the button with KJ type hands), I could 4-bet a lot of opponents. At the same time I could just fold against players if my pair is too small and they can play smaller pots with fair hands.

To just call a 3-bet with a small PP OOP against most shortstacked opponents (if no one else is in the pot), I'd have to think that I'm likely to be behind. [Plus, most people with read this as a pair or something like AQs.] In my case, I will often call here HU with a top pair also, which helps me in these hands a little.

Anyway, if I had a number I'd say 14x or so. More or less depending. If he's tilty or aggro post flop, then a little less will usually do. If he's a smallball player and plays well, maybe even more would be required.

If I wasn't reasonably sure I was behind a higher pair and just called preflop, then obviously you can reevaluate on the flop. You're going to be looking at overcards almost every time, and to a large part you're going to have to try and sort out what his range looks like against the board out of position, which is tricky (at least for me).

If you have 77 and the flop comes A85, is the ace a good card for you to bluff or not against this guy?