View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Bald Eagle off the endangered species list

[ QUOTE ]
Since you are being deliberately obtuse, as usual, I will ammend my original statement to say,

"Except for those annihilated by governments, the world has never run out of any privately ovened resource in history."

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the one being obtuse by bringing up wild horses as comparable to bald eagles. Anyway, there are plenty of other extinct species that weren't targeted by governments. Here's one: the quagga. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga . There are hundreds of others as well.

[ QUOTE ]

No. They wouldn't be wild then, now would they? The question you dodged was something to the effect of: The existence of privately owned horses protects wild horses. Do you see why?

I eagerly await the redodging.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to dodge. I see why: The existence of a market for domesticated horses makes it less likely for people to want to exploit wild horses. However, that does not guarantee the survival of horses in the wild. There are plenty of animals that used to exist in the wild but now only exist in domestic contexts or zoos. Remember, the point of the ESA is not only to prevent such animals from going extinct, but to also prevent them from going extinct IN THE WILD. Not only are bald eagles much more difficult to raise in captivity, they are much more sensitive than horses to habitat changes in the wild.