View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: 6.50: JJ, bubble, good villain leaves 180 behind & got called

[ QUOTE ]
(Your call's fine btw [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). He has to figure you to have a slight edge vs. the big stack, if anything because calling ranges are tighter than shoving ranges. But even if he thinks it's 50/50, this means 50% he's done anyway, and 50% of the time he finishes third.

But, villian must have had pretty much trash, but had to shove with it (or felt he had to), and left himself a backdoor that gave him a roughly 50/50 chance of cashing, while still offering the possiblility of taking down the blinds. So either a, he takes down the blinds (small chance), b, he gets into a showdown heads up, which he would probably take given his equity right now, or c, he uses his backdoor to give him a roughly 50/50 shot at the money. Sound about right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense, thanks for spelling out the possible outcomes. Maybe this play is more common than I know, but I was impressed by it at the time. In game I would shove hands like A7 in his spot but if two players get all in in front of you, your almost definitely dominated badly and in need of the "backdoor". The backdoor might only come into play once in a while, but so long as he's not doing it with hands that are too strong to fold, I don't see how it can hurt.