View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Re: The final word on addictive gamblers and debt cases who are desperate.

Ya'll, I have a 17 yr old son that is see-sawing on whether to join the Army or not. Being that I feel the last two administrations have treated the military very poorly, I have personal objections. (btw, ex-Navy myself) But I do support the positive words here.
I just hope a reader will realize that if they are looking for direction because they have a gambling problem, i.e. emotional instability, that they must be ready to deal with some harsh reality as a member of the military. But harshness is also a blessing because it will force you to grow up.
My son can and would benefit from the military experience. It is just the 'daddy' in me that worries because he is staking more than a bankroll or debt.
I will stand behind him if he signs up or if he gets a job doing drywall.
But as a parrallel to my concern for troubled poker players, I can see a trouble spot.
He has been in a rocky relationship for a little while and I fear that if it falls apart he will use the military as an escape and go in with the wrong mindset.
Needless to say I am 'on watch' for this and am ready to lend my wisdom, but not stop him from what his heart decides is best for him.
If you are inpsired by govman or the screaming eagles, the God Bless you and good luck. If you are desperate, please step back and examine your real needs and motives.
Okay, concerned poppa mode off.