View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Immigration Bill, Part 2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Immigration into the US is utterly racist. If you're white or educated or otherwise law-abiding you are subject to draconian regulation and huge legal expense as well as the overhanging threat of deportation. If you're poor and brown, well, no worries. This is part of what Americans object to.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not true. First off, immigrants from Latvia who immigrate illegally face exactly the same risks of deportation as Mexicans. The reason why many get entangled in bureaucracy is because they try to follow the rules. Mexicans who immigrate legally face the same problems. I'm sure far more Mexicans are deported than Europeans.

Second, the US government operates a lottery which awards tens of thousands of green cards to immigrants from countries that don't send many people to America. On top of this, to immigrate to America on an H1-B visa, you need to have high value skills. How many Mexicans do you think have these skills? Our immigration policy is biased toward Westerners, the only reason more Latinos immigrate is because the demand is much greater.

[/ QUOTE ]

So it seems to me that our legal immigration process is indeed biased towards Westerners, but since more non-Westerners than Westerners choose the illegal route thereby short-cutting the intended process, the whole system is also partially biased towards those who are motivated and willing to immigrate illegally. I wouldn't actually call it racist in that sense, as HeavilyArmed did, but the system does encourage illegal immigration in some ways, which de facto encourages non-Western immigration.

I think that both the legal and illegal routes must be considered as part of the whole package when trying to assess such matters. It also makes me wonder whether the USA is gaining more legal or more illegal immigrants every year, anyone know which?