View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Am I the only non-smoker who thinks \"smoking bans\" are a bunch of

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So say you. I think a town, with support of majority voters, has the right to pass some ordinances. Similarly, the several states have the right to create laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

A town is not an actor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am unsure about this.

[ QUOTE ]
A town doesn't "pass ordinances". A group of people certainly has a right to agree upon some rules for interactions.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if they can't agree, and their wishes conflict, somnetimes majority rule takes precedence.

[ QUOTE ]
They don't have any right to impose those rules on other people who don't agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werll, non-smokers can say the same thing, that smokers don't have any right to impose a smoky environment on those that don't agree. I don't fully buy the "they can just go somewhere else" rebuttal.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are we quibbling about the usage of "given" versus "reserved", or do we disagree regarding the people having the right to create laws and ordinances through state and local governments?

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times does the word "right" appear in there? This is not a semantical quibble. The words were chosen *very* carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

As noted below, you are correct and I was mistaking "powers" for "rights". Pragmatically speaking, though, when it comes to state laws and town ordinances, I'm not sure there is much difference, especially if the majority wishes are reflected.