View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Default A question about physicalism/materialism

Physicalism (a more general form of materialism) holds that everything which exists possesses a physical property. Things that do not have this characteristic do not exist.

This implies that physics is the most basic form of knowledge, correct? In other words, fields such as logic and mathematics must have a physical basis as well (rather than the opposite, physics having a basis in math/logic). This follows from the definition of physicalism... math and logic exist, all things are based on physics, therefore math and logic are based on physics.

Intuitively, it seems like the opposite is true -- that physics is based on math and logic, and physical statements are derived based on math and logic. It seems like most other people feel this way as well (although this is just the general idea I get), and even the posts I read on this forum from materialists give me this idea. Am I incorrect in assuming this?

I know there are some people who take to physicalism and materialism on this forum. What are your thoughts on this?