View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: \"I Check / Raise In the Dark.\" Is the Raise Binding?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many times has a player said in first position, "if you bet, I'm all-in". And then after a bet he folds. No way an out of turn verbal declaration is binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny this is mentioned, I came in here to post about an incident at the showboat a few months ago. 1/2 table next to me erupts in arguments over this exact thing. After 10 minutes one of the players comes to play at our table and tells us the story.

The action is on the river and an older guy checks to the agressor of the whole hand. While the guy is counting chips to make a bet the guy says to him "I know you're bluffing, i'll call any bet you throw out there" The player asked if the move was binding and when it was he went all in and the guy flips out saying it wasnt binding at all.

Eventually the floor decided that it WAS a verbal move and he lost all his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very different then saying "check and raise" or "check and call" or "check with the intention of raising." In the story above, player 1 checked and with the knowledge that player 2 is considering a bet, tells him that he will call any bet. I am still not sure I agree with the ruling (seems like coffeehousing to me), but timing is everything...