Thread: Pure bluff
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Pure bluff

Hi PocketElevens,

I hate it. I don't believe at this level you should be making pure bluff moves with no cards at all. All you have is an 8 high. If you want to bluff once in awhile (rarely) you'll get the chance when you have better cards that miss, at least that way you have some outs. What could you be representing on the flop?

Here is an example of a hand I bluffed ...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (9 handed) converter

CO ($10.90)
Button ($3.50)
SB ($9.75)
BB ($10.85)
UTG ($11.35)
UTG+1 ($9.45)
MP1 ($8.75)
Hero ($9.80)
MP3 ($9.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP3 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.60) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.3</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.30, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($1.20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: $2.20

(The PF call was based on the table being so weak and passive).

My flop call was based on a number of reads on villain, one being I never saw him bet his draws. I also had good control over villain (important). When he bet I knew he didn't have diamonds. I'm counting 14 outs on the flop, the 5 outs that make my hand with the 3 K outs being somewhat disguised, and the 9 diamond outs I can bluff with. When the diamond hit the turn and he checked I knew I could take down the pot with a good bet.

I don't bluff much at all, when I do usually it's with very good reads like here, plus I have real outs. I've never played a hand for the sole purpose of making a pure bluff. Not needed at my level, which is a couple steps below yours.

Garon