View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Beat: Wells Fargo ATM eats my withdrawal

Head over to local WF branch at lunch to withdraw some money. Teller line is looong, so I hit up one of the ATMs. Insert card, request money, yadda yadda yadda...except that instead of giving me my bills, the machine has a small nervous breakdown, throws an error message (something along the lines of "Oh, crap" on a bright red background), and then tells me my transaction has been canceled. Fine...except that the receipt I'm given shows the money, $700, as having already been debited against my account. And then the machine goes [censored]-up and the standard welcome screen is replaced with the MACHINE OUT OF SERVICE prompt. Crap.

I head over to the next ATM and check my balance, and yeah, it's $700 down. Crap.

Get in the looooong line and finally reach a teller. She confirms that my account has been debited $700 and that to recover the money I will need to file a claim. WTF? I am directed to a customer service phone in the lobby.

Talk to customer service rep, who confirms that, yes, this is their procedure: she initiates a claim on my behalf, and Wells Fargo investigates it, a process that can take 5-10 business days. If no conclusion is reached in 10 business days, my claims will be "provisionally" granted, but subject to reversal if the facts later indicate otherwise. In the meantime...have a nice day. Not even an "I'm-sorry-our-machine-ate-your-$700."

I'm sure I'm not the first person to encounter this sort of ATM problem, but Jesus, what a crock: I use their ATM, they debit my account without paying me my monies, and now I have to go through a two week process to recover said monies. Sucks.

Cliff Notes: Wells Fargo ATM ate my money. Wells Fargo says "Give us two weeks and we'll look into getting your money back. Sucker."