View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: kowloon, hong kong (photography thread)

On the pic of the lady with the fruit, it looks extra orange because it looks like you white-balanced for the outside light, which is naturally much more blue and makes incandescents look yellowish. If you have varying color temperatures in the same view, you might want to position yourself or to zoom in so that one color temperature of your light source completely dominates the scene. This will lead to more natural colors. When you get to doing movies, you often deal with this by putting gels on the windows to bring everything to the same color temp so scenes don't look strangely blue or yellowish. But on the street, you just have to be careful where the lens is pointing and how much it covers.

I like the one showing all the signs. It gives a feeling for how congested the place is. I also kind of dug one huge building having signs for a different hotel every few floors. I've never seen multiple hotels in the same building, just divided up by floors before.

Also, there's one where there's a bunch of items in a cart, and the focus was a little hard to find with the eye. The food items in the foreground were blurred, and so was a lot of stuff all around what looked like the focus point, the green peppers. Your shallow depth of field suggests maybe you could have used more light or adjusted that depth of field elsewise, as you probably wanted more of the items in that cart in focus.