View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Strategy for when to quit a game

Well, here was my mistake. I went to the poker room late with my friend. We waited two hours to get our seats. I put in $100 and was up over $350 within two hours. However, I had no clue as to when my friend wanted to leave or how he was doing. I was just playing tight & waiting for him to stop by. Eventually, I was just getting tired. It was past 2 AM. I was still playing tight, and was pretty card dead for the last two hours. I really was too tired to play. Then when I got a hand, I made the mistake of going heads up vs the best player at the table (from what others told me, an older cagey grinder...) and got busted. Then I quit. Basically, he had nailed a boat on the flop when I had two pair (KQ). The fellow was nice enough to talk to me about the hand outside (he was then on a smoke break as I was leaving). He basically said not to listen to what the other players say at the table, that he had won a $1600 pot vs one of the players who was giving me advice on him, etc. I was just really tired & made the mistake of being overly agressive on a "decent" hand & wish I had quit the game after a couple of hours. In the three times I have played live, starting with $100, I have been up $500, $150, and $350 within the first two hours. So, perhaps that is a good time limit for me to set. Funny, one guy sitting next to me was wearing sunglasses and a gray sweatshirt (looked like the unibomber) and he was practically sleeping at the table. The dealer had to keep waking him up so he could take action (imagine a comatose player being barely able to flick his mucked cards back to the dealer...). Funny, a dealer also accidentally knocked some of my chips off the table with his elbow. I couldn't find one of my chips all night and it was kind of bugging me. I was on my hands & knees looking for my chips & one of the players said the last chip was up the dealers a... Perhaps that is was a sign that I should have left at that point? lol

Holdfast