Thread: Overpair live
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Overpair live

Thanks for the replies.

I actually had QQ but I posted it this way because I would have been in a very tough spot here if I hadn't made a set and I'm not sure what I would have done. I went all-in and they each folded pretty quickly so I assumed he must have had AJ.

But later he initiates discussion of the hand and I won't say what I had but he keeps prodding and asks if I had three queens and says he made a big laydown. So I'm like "oh you had a set?!" and he says he had three jacks. So I'm like "no wai" and he's like "yarly" and seems proud of himself (at this point I've neither confirmed nor denied that I had him beat, I've only said I had "a good hand"). It seems kinda hard to believe but on the other hand I don't know why he'd strike up a conversation with me just to lie about his hand late in the session when we'll probably never see each other again.

Going all-in on a bluff here is something that absolutely never would have occured to me... but (assuming he really folded a set) I guess it follows the line of thought that if he's betting weak, it's because he's scared that his hand is no good, regardless of how strong it is in reality. He mentioned that the Q was just about the only card he really didn't want to see because of the straights and stuff. fwiw, later on the guy on my right brought up the hand by saying "on that hand where you took a card off and hit the nut straight in the huge pot.... well I assume that's what you had...." so maybe I'm just a tellbox or something. I'm just rambling now though, so I'm gonna stop.