View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Best Guitar Players of All Time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, obviously I don't shred like Satriani - I have no interest in being able to do that. And, anywho, I still consider Clapton fast, and think that those who don't probably havn't heard enough Clapton.

I've never heard anyone sing the way Malmsteen plays. If I did, I think we'd end up putting him/her on ritalin(sp) and that'd be the end of it. You get the, "OMG ERUPTION - BEST SONG EVER", oh? hum a line for me? "...."

Shredding can be accomplished over time by just about anyone; it's just muscle memory eventually. Making the guitar sing, making it sound like a human, making it scream so when you open your mouth the audience isn't sure if you are screaming or you're just playing the guitar ( a la Hendrix) is not muscle memory, its comes down to the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly written by an non-musician. You CANNOT over time become as good as Malmsteen.

muscle memory.

LMAO

fyc

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Some people can't play knockin on heavens door after showing it to them 100 times. Believe me!

I consider myself a very good guitarist. I can improvise pretty well and jam for hours and have great texture for rhythm etc...but I can't shred, nor would I be able to if I dedicated the rest of my life to it.

What you're saying is sort of akin to "so-and-so is a great pitcher but all he throws is fastballs. Anyone can throw a baseball 100 mph if they practice enough."

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, so you think the best baseball pitcher of all time only throws fastballs?

Now, I'll admit, I'm not a big sports fan, but I've always considered Clemens to be one of the best in the game (7 cy youngs, right?) Does he throw just a fastball? Nope, he throws that, a splitter, a slider, and maybe even a few other things that I don't remember. (Again, my knowledge here is limited, I'm trying to go with your analogy, but genreally, Clemens is respected as a pitcher, yes?)

As for me not being a musician, this is not true. I've put my music on this forum before. Like you, I improvise and jam. Unlike you, I don't hold "shredding" at a godly level. I also don't consider myself a very good guitarist, "half decent" at best.

Do you realize you sound a LOT like people who first start guitar and want to improvise, "not in my life could I ever play like that" and then 3 years later, they're improvising and jamming along. It's the same thing with shredding, I'd bet you havn't put more than 50 hours into it to see if you couldn't actually do it. (50 is an extremly high number, I'd figure it's more like 10?)