View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Vulnerable House Internet Poker Opponents

[ QUOTE ]
The following congressmen voted for HR 4411 and won reelection in 2006 with <55% of the vote...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, it seems there are a few things to do with this info. First of all, if your congressman is on this list, he/she will be far more interested in your opinion (especially if you are a member of his/her party) than will someone who runs unopposed every time (but we need to write to them as well, of course).

As for who to oppose, it seems the ones from states where both major parties are strong (i.e., Ohio and Pennsylvalia reps are more vulnerable than are Georgia ones). Also, not everyone who voted for HR 4411 is against IGREA. Some just wanted regulation, like Peter King and Emanuel Cleaver (neither on this list), and support IGREA. Others are working hard against us. So, here's my first cut (in no particular order):

Rick Renzi (R-AZ). Renzi is currently under federal investigation for his involvement in a land-swap deal. On April 19, 2007, the FBI raided his family business, and he temporarily resigned from the House Intelligence Committee. On April 27 Renzi denied printed claims he was considering resigning office.

John Doolittle (R-CA). Tied to Abramoff scandal. Voted against us once he wasn't (allegedly) getting paid to vote for us.

Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO). The Christian Coalition has ranked Musgrave's voting record at '100%' in support of the pro-Christian Coalition legislation listed on their scorecard (which includes Internet gaming).

Ric Keller (R-FL). Consistently against us. Appears he'll have strong challengers in 2008.

Mark Souder (R-IN)

Leonard Boswell (D-IA)

Joe Knollenberg (R-MI). You all read his letter to us.

Chris Shays (R-CT). Good target here, especially as he's so vehemently against us.

Geoff Davis (R-KY). Another good target, especially if former Rep. Ken Lucas runs against him again. Also, supports the horse carve-out for UIGEA.

William Jefferson (D-LA). He'll probably be in jail by 2008. This is a good shot for us (either against him for for an open seat).

Steve Chabot (R-OH) 52.3%. Ohio is a good state for us, I think. It's becoming more progressive and libertarian, especially with regards to social conservatism.

Jean Schmidt (R-OH) 50.5% Memorably called 38-year Marine Corps veteran Rep. John Murtha a coward for advocating leaving Iraq.

Deborah Pryce (R-OH) 50.2%. OSU, plus regular Ohio voters, make her seat vulnerable.

Heather Wilson (R-NM). Currently, she is under a preliminary investigation by the House Ethics Committee over whether she made inappropriate contact with the United States Attorney for the District of New Mexico by inquiring, shortly before an election in which she faced a stiff challenge, on the status of a corruption investigation involving a Democratic politician.

Jim Walsh (R-NY) 50.8%. NY is my kind of state, seeing how many are with us on IGREA.

Tom Reynolds (R-NY) 52.0%

Phil English (R-PA) 53.6%

Jim Gerlach (R-PA) 50.7%

Charles Dent (R-PA) 53.6%

Randy Kuhl (R-NY) 51.5%

Many of the others are good targets, too. That's just my first cut.

FYI: Charlie Melancon (D-LA) is cosponsoring IGREA