View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Blazing Saddles: Monthly Movie Marathon

Okay, we now come to the one voted the 2nd best comedy by Loungers:

"The sheriff is a ni-"

Blazing Saddles has got to be one of the all-time great comedies, with some brilliant lines, scenes and setups. It's incredibly non-PC, but hell, I really don't see this could offend anyone with any sort of sense of humour. In fact, it's rather progressive, making us laugh at idiotic bigots and letting the black lead run rings around both the townsfolk and the bad guys.

Both the writers and Brooks are firing on all cylinders, and it's terrific (though like Holy Grail, it too breaks the 4th wall and lets reality intrude at the end - and where Python gets away with it, I don't think BS does).

Great cast too, right down to the redneck Taggart, Hedley Lamarr and Gene Wilder as the deputy spade. Cleavon Little was really great as the sheriff (was he ever in anything else?)

Cmon, share the Blazing Saddles' love, tell us your favourite lines and scenes, post pictures, tell us why you think it's not great even (I won't believe you).

My most favourite of favourites from this:

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening thru a cosmic vapor of invention.
Taggart: Ditto.