View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Should a manager manage?

[ QUOTE ]
Forget my comment about legality. It may be technically true (maybe not), but if they ain't got a beef it sure doesn't matter.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a flaw in my personality is hoping/expecting the people I work with to do their share.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not your peers. They don't have to "pitch in" to get the job done. They have to do what you tell them to.

By all means, do your fair share. I'd get on you just as hard for dropping the ball if you spent every Sunday at the cardroom while your subordinates worked extra shifts. Setup a rotation, whatever. But asking "who wants to do it?" is just not going to get a volley of people fighting for the extra unpaid weekend shifts. And asking for volunteers, then after getting none assigning yourself, is establishing a precedent and expectation that you don't want.

Its a reasonable expectation that the "boss" has to carry a larger share of the load. Now you have to change the way you've been doing things, and get people to do more than they were expecting for no more money. I predict complaints, ones you wouldn't have had if you just assigned the shifts to begin with.

Were you hired as a manager there, or did you come up through the ranks at this company?

I am making a few assumptions about the pay rate and skillset of the dispatchers, but I fail to see in your post where any expectation is set for them to volunteer for extra shifts.

They've been told these things might come up, they are expecting to be assigned extra shift as necessary, so just tell them when it comes up and when they need to be there. You are making this hard on yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started as the lowest level dispatcher. I've moved up 2 levels to the "chief" dispatcher.

I share in all the extra deals. I work the same amount of Saturdays as any of them. When I had a guy quit instead of shortening the rotation I just worked that guys Saturdays as well. So I was working every one of them.

As far as how I do things I wish I could figure myself out. i've been told my some people I'm a hard nosed guy. Yet, everytime I post a thread around here concerning my personal life I look like a pushover.

Maybe I need shock threapy or a few 12 packs of beer.. nah not that.