View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Women really get worked up about baby names

My wife and I had a fairly spirited debate when she was pregnant with her son. We agreed we would name him "James Donald" after both his grandfathers, but the argument was about what to call him.

I was fine with James, Jim, Jimmy or Jay. My wife really really wanted it to be "J.D." Well, I hate hate hate the initial thing, and I think J.D. sounds like a redneck and/or a mechanic.

So back and forth we went. She finally agreed that we would call him Jay, but as part of the bargain I had to forfeit any input into the name of the second child, at least in theory.

The lucky part is that my wife isn't obsessed with naming our children something that no one has ever been named before, or in choosing one of those currently en vogue "yuppie names" that make me want to puke. We have friends who have actually named their children:

Brock
Avery
Riverson
Lee-Lee

But back to the OP--the next time some woman does this, ask her what her kids are named, and then slam the name right to her face. "Wow, that's 100 times worse than Oscar. Were you drunk when you decided on that one?"

That should stop it.