View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Should a manager manage?

I'm the manager of a dispatch dept for a concrete company. I have 3 dispatchers that work for me and about 50-60 drivers depending on the time of year etc).

For the most part the dispatchers work about 10 hours a day Monday - Friday and every other Saturday. On their Saturday they usually work about 5 hours.

Their compensation isn't important as far as this is concerned except that they're all salary.

Being in the concrete buisness there aren't any absolutes when it comes to times. Everyone that works here has been told that there will be some possible odd hours etc. Of the 3 people one has been here 20-25 year, another 5 years, and the last 6 months or so (There's not an hour of the day that I havn't started my day)

Anyway a few weeks ago I was told that on a Friday night we would have to start a job at 9:30 p.m. I was also told it would only last for a couple houre. We also had another job come up where we would do a job on that Sunday for about 5 hours.

I said that I would work that Sunday. Hoping that someone would man up and volunteer to do the Friday night.

Well that didn't happen and I (on the inside) said f it I'll come in and do it. I did and it was a piece of cake. I came in and worked the Sunday and it was easy as well. I just sat around, made sure the pour went fine, and watched some TV.

The following Monday comes up and I was told we would be open the following Sunday as well. I came back to the office and passed the info on. Noone said a word. So a few minutes pass and I say "Well am I going to work Sunday or is anyone else going to volunteer"? One guy asked how many more Sundays there would be in the near future and I let him know that this was supposed to be the last one.

That was it. Not another word about it for the rest of the day. My wife says I should just tell one of them to do it. I tell her if I say that one of the guys will say he's going out of town, one of em won't say a word and I'm not sure about the other guy.

Sure enough this morning I say in a different way "Well I'm not going to work every single extra pour. is anyone else going to volunteer?"

One guy said he was going to be out of town and the other 2 didn't say a word.

I understand people don't want to work anymore then they are required. But if I had my boss coming in all those extra times I'd know that isn't right and do it some too.

Should I just from the get go said X you're coming in Friday night and Y you'll now be working Sunday as well?