Thread: DeFazio's Reply
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 AM

Default DeFazio\'s Reply

Just got this. At least it's direct (tl;dr version - he's anti-gaming):

Thanks for your message in support of the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007 introduced by Barney Frank. I appreciate hearing from you but regret that we disagree on this issue.

As you know the bill would create an exemption to the ban on online gambling for properly licensed operators, allowing Americans to lawfully bet online. I have never been a fan of gambling, but I am concerned that Internet gambling is particularly problematic because it is largely unregulated by federal or state officials, fails to prevent children from accessing sites, presents hard to track opportunities for organized crime and money launderers, and is particularly addictive. I would particularly recommend to you the June 11, 2006 New York Times Magazine article "The Gambler; The Hold 'Em Hold Up" for an extraordinary story on campus Internet gambling.

In 1999, the National Gambling Impact Study Commission recommended that Congress outlaw the financial transactions that facilitate Internet gambling. Over the years, I have generally supported such legislation.

Internet gambling is more of a problem than most other forms of gambling given the unlimited instant access virtually anywhere by anyone with access to a computer or wireless device pre-empting reasonable state restrictions protecting minors or others. That said, I have opposed even the creation of the Oregon lottery due to my concerns with gambling.

It is important to note however that online gambling is still allowed so long as gambling is legal in the state in which you are gambling and the computers that are placing and receiving wagers are in the same state.

Thanks again for writing and please keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Rep. Peter DeFazio
Fourth District, OREGON