View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 02:07 AM

Default Re: 4 card straight, raise/call/fold ?

Unless UTG open-limps a lot and then folds to a raise I don't think we're up against a suited connector. We're not afraid of the suited ace, or the middle pair.

He's NOT betting at you which lends to the suited connector or middle pair theory. He may be slowplaying a set but even poor players probably don't check twice unless you've a habit of leading into a checked pot. I don't mind teh full pot bet because at this point he's either way too trappy or he's drawing.

A set is probably out, the big pair is probably out, TPTK hasn't led into you so is probably out. We've got flush draws, straight draws, and two pair(which may be nervous on that board but probably leads). Well, most of those made it. Straight is chopping (maybe he has a 9 but I doubt it) Flush is beating us and NOT folding, Straight is chopping and not folding. 2 pair will somtimes call a reraise but not likely with a 4 straight and the made flush on board. Easy call on river but don't be surprised if that flush comes

The flop? Well it looks a little bitter to CBet it. Hit chunks of his range (AK,JT,AJ,QJ) and tehres a decent chance he has a middle pair and has you beat

I think you're up against a flush draw a little too often for comfort but not enough to fold. Let say were up against the flush 1/3 of the time, but you only need to win 1 in three pots to make the call worthwile. He has to have the flush(or chop) more than 2/3 of the time for you to fold, and given board I don't like raising cause we're often just feeding the rake. I don't think we get value out of weaker hands given a 4 straight and a 3 flush. He lead for half his stack so he has something and he knows where it stands on that board. You don't which puts you at the disadvantage.

No raises you probably weren't reraising PF with any two suited and the faces of your suit are out, so he's not believing you have a flush unless its a royal. If he doesn't have at least a straight hes folding out, and if he has that much he'll be all in in a second which is good only with the 9.

Anyways enough poker lecture from the amateur.

I don't mind a fold here but a flush doesn't make sense. Even so you're at negative equity for the most part (you lose to flushes and break even to royals so he has to bluff 1/3 of the time for you to make money). A call isn't bad either since its so often a chop and every once in a while two pair or a lesser straight. Mostly it would be read dependent on whether he likes to bluff a scare card.

If he's a strong player he may have bet the A precisely to confuse you and maybe fold out a chop