View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Music- Why the hell can\'t we have more Bob Dylans?

The "truest lyrics" thread got me thinking about this, something that I've thought about several times over the years, growing up and listening to music. Why haven't we seen another Bob Dylan? Or another Paul Simon? Or another one of the 100s of influential and timeless artists of the 60s? Is that the end? Are we EVER going to see musical genius that lives up to that level?

I look at the artists of my lifetime, and those that will be remembered by those who won't even be born for another 20 years are few (and this is where discussion might arise). And those that will be remembered, won't necessarily be remembered for their musical genius, and their ability to relate to almost anybody. Arguably the most revolutionary music in the past 20 years has been grunge. Does Kurt Cobain REALLY compare to Bob Dylan? It was a different form, to be sure, and maybe that's enough to distinguish, but I'm a lyrics kind of guy, so I'm not gonna fall for that. Think of the 60s/70s. Bob Dylan. Joni Mitchell. James Taylor. Paul Simon. John Lennon. Elton John. Warren Zevon. Neil Young. Robbie Robertson. Leonard Cohen. Gram Parsons. What modern artists compare, even minutely? I have some that I consider quality, and I know some people will throw some out there, but I just don't think anything of today (which in my mind I characterize as the 90s to present) compares. Is it the dumbing down of society?

In short, are there REALLY any artists of today that I will play for my kids as "great music," and that they will hold on to and listen to for the rest of their lives? Or will I simply, and unapologetically, be forced to stick with Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Neil Young?