View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Weighty issue I feel powerless to handle (Longest Post Ever OMG)

I'm surprised nobody thought this issue through from the mother's perspective. I remember hearing that about a half of american marriages end up in a divorce. The number isn't really important here, the thing is that mother knows that love ("fling" in her eyes) marriages don't work. Or she might feel she gave her plenty of time to try to find a husband herself. But seeing as she's 27 and most arranged marriage girls get pimped before 15, mom might be worried that May is losing her youth and good years still to have children.

The fact is, nobody wants to be married off. Mom knows that the daughter will be unhappy early on, but feels that her choice for the husband is good enough so it'll work out eventually. Because they certainly seem to be working in asia/india/etc. Seems to have worked pretty well with mom, if she feels the daughter will eventually be happy and thank her for it.

As for your options, you're pretty much [censored]. Just don't do anything stupid like run away or get married in vegas. I think you have to intervene in the situation eventually, because May most likely won't go against the wishes of her family. At least you have some time to see if this girl really is the one. And if so, you'll just have to present yourself as a good candidate according to mom's views.

Boss' traits according to Mom's list of the ultimate husband candidage

[x] Wealthy
[x] Good social status
[x] Asian/Catholic/treats people with respect
[x] Improves status of the family
[x] Everybody wins

Boss on Fluffpop's list of ultimate male

[ ] Dave Chapelle's humour
[ ] Brad Pitt's looks
[x] Good Hygiene
[ ] Tall
[ ] Well endoved