View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Online poker, and unpaid student loans…

[ QUOTE ]
Student loans are a scary thing. The schools and loan companies make it ridiculously easy for students to borrow large sums of money-- often much more than they need or can repay. And, most students simply have no real concept of how difficult it can be to repay the $100k+ they are able to borrow. I am not sure how the gambling community should address this, but it is all too obvious that a HUGE percentage of the online gambling occurring is done by "kids" in college, and obviously a good number of them receive federal loans.

Personally I would consider making it a term of the Federally guaranteed loan agreements that the borrower not engage in online gambling subject to some pretty harsh if not criminal penalties for violating this agreement. And I would extend that until the person begins repayment of the loans.

It is incredibly immoral and harmful to society for anyone to convert a program which is not only intended for one's own, but future generations education to bankroll their gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of a student loan is to help the student pay for tuition and expenses. Some of those expenses - food, clothing, etc - are not always covered by the tuition. The student loans are applied to the tuition bill, and the overage is refunded to the student, who presumably uses the vast majority of the funds to pay for living expenses. How else should it be done? Loans don't come with a financial baby-sitter.