View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Should I quit my job?

I'll try to make this as brief as possible by including points rather than paragraphs.

-I'm 23

-Hired in Dec 2006. It's not a permanent position, but it has a 3 year time frame. I've worked 6 months.

-I don't enjoy it and it's very difficult. People I have talked to are surprised to find out that these responsibilities have been placed on my shoulders. I am trying my best to learn and improve at what I'm doing but it's very difficult and the tools/teachers I need just aren't there. And I don't care enough about this job to devote my life to getting better at it.

-I am applying to Grad school for fall of 2008. I will get in, that's not a question. So at most I'd only have this job another year and a couple months.

-I don't need the money. The insurance benefits are nice, but I can afford to pay for those on my own, or get them through a different job.

Ok...so here are the real issues I have with this...

-The company has paid me a lot these past 6 months and I've spent them all training and learning and not doing anything for them. If I quit now I feel like I just wasted their time and money.

-We have purchased over $10k worth of equipment for this project and have had some time sensitive materials approved. I was hoping to stay on to the completion of this project but that is no longer a desirable option for me. I don't think the equipment money would go to waste, however, as they would likely hire someone else (hopefully more skilled/experienced than I was) to take my place.

Can I quit them??

SUMMARY FOR THOSE ADVERSE TO READING THINGS:

Have job, don't want job, don't need job for $ or for refs since I am going to grad school in 1.5 years and not working in this industry any longer. Concerns are that the past 6 months I've worked here they've paid me well and purchased lots of equipment for me, and I'm wondering if quitting now would be rude/inappropriate/unfair as I've accomplished close to nothing for them.

Thanks