View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: help people avoid bad movies (and watch good ones)

Catch:

y tu mama tambien
Does a simply amazing job of showing the interconnectedness of city life using fascinating characters and a storyline that does not disappoint.
Find me guilty Vin Diesel's character is a lot of fun in this movie, and it's interesting to see how the mafia operates inside a courtroom. It's not excellent, but it's a very pleasant surprise. If you're generally repulsed by mobster movies because you hate the characters, then you won't like this movie. Otherwise, it's worth a shot

an inconvenient truth
worthwhile and politically relevent. I disliked the biographical stuff, but it didn't get in the way of me enjoying the movie.
lord of war
Not as good as thank you for smoking, but it's excellent in the same vein.
the omen
very decent remake with good special effects and great casting.
shopgirl good acting, nice well paced character driven plot)
the assassination of richard nixon
amazing acting by Sean Penn + interesting portrait of working class political outrage
brokeback mountain
phenomenal acting, beautiful scenery, unique and moving story, artfully avoids stereotypical characters and dialogue

kiss kiss, bang bang all around hilarious and full of great action and you get to see Val Kilmer play a gay guy!
ong-bak the thai warrior
one of the best martial arts performances I have ever seen by anyone ever

Avoid:
freedomland
worse than you can possibly imagine
constantine
this is pretty bad but if you are into occulty type stuff and just want a popcorn movie and are bored, etc. then it might be ok
four brothers
not terrible because some of the action scenes are ok. To be conservative, I say avoid it, but it's closer to the border than you might think
the weather man
A pseudo-meaningful movie about family drama that is slow-paced, overuses internal monologue, and features Nicolas Cage with his Botox acting abilities in full force. Not abominable, but not at all worthwhile or satisfying from any standpoint

the break-up
Vince Vaughan gets a good amount of awesome lines in this movie and John Favreau is a lot of fun too. However, Jennifer Aniston weighs this down immensely with an uninteresting character and a lackluster performance. Also, Vaughan and Aniston have zero screen chemistry