View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Default Botting the WNBA Season...

With not much to bet on over the summer(especially as I'm not a fan of baseball), I decided to start betting on the WNBA. One problem: I know absolutely nothing about the WNBA. So I decided to write a program that would make my predictions for me, hence the phrase "botting" in the subject. This is really just a hobby for over the Summer, and a fun way for me to keep my gambling fix.

I've fed the program a lot of stats, and from that it will predict the exact outcome of said game, based on various factors. The key to the program is that I don't tell it how to come up with the predicted results - for example I don't say "Hey, the home team wins 75% of the time so factor that into your results". I let the program try and figure out an exact percentage for itself, readjusting itself as more data comes in.

Do I expect this bot to be a winning bot? Most likely not. It's not very complex at the moment, and has a long ways to go. For example it doesn't factor in any players yet(although that's possible in the future). Mainly it's a way for me to bet all Summer on the WNBA, and for me is a lot more fun than just flipping a coin.

Anyhoo - the bot went "live" - as in I started "trusting" its picks on Friday. I've actually posted these on another forum(if someone wanted verification that I was doing it pre-game), and I'll start posting them on here. I should advise that I'd hope no-one trusts the bots picks religiously [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Anyway I'll get everyone up to date with the results so far...

June 15th:

New York +2: Prediction is New York to win by 1 point. They lose. Loss.
Connecticut +8: Prediction is Connecticut lose by 5. They lose by 3. Win.
Phoenix +10: Prediction is Phoenix win by 10. No bet.
Houston +11: Prediction is Seattle win by 12. Win by 13. Win.
LA +1.5: Prediction is LA win outright, by 4 points. They win by 9 points. Win.

Record:

3-1-0 (75%)

June 16th:

Indiana +3.5: Bot says Indiana lose by 3. They win by 10. Win.
New York +5: Bot says New York lose by 2. They lose by 8. Loss.
Minnesota +1.5: Bot says LA win by 6. They lose by like, a lot. Loss.
Houston +14: Bot says Houston lose by 11. They lose by 12. Win.

5-3-0 (62.5%)

And today, just the one game as Chicago took on Connecticut, Chicago at +8.5. Bot says Chicago would actually win by 2 points...and they win by 13 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Win.

6-3-0 (66.7%)

And after writing all that...it predicts Detroit will beat LA by 2 points tomorrow, and the line is Detroit -2, so no bet tomorrow
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]