View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: AC defense, part I: Defending a free nation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So ACists are more willing to give the task of national defense to private companies consisting of all kinds of people instead of a one centralized national army? Wow.

There's the miliraty science issue that was already nicely stated.

There's the problem of how the hell can you make decent "organization without centralization"? That sounds like a lovely phrase but inside it's as empty as whatever that's really empty.

There's the question of do you really think rich people who donate money to national defense are actually so compassionate and loyal that they do not seek power and donate money only for selfless purposes? How naiive.

That kind of defense system would be impractical ("organization without centralization" lol) , ineffective (let's fight guerrilla warfare in our cities) and it would still contain many risks of oppression despite of the artificial option of choice (private companies are there to maximize the profit so they are very likely to deceive and create cartels for profit etc.)

I'm nowhere near an expert status of understading all the nuances of anarchocapitalism but at least this idea sounds so naiive and idealistic. It sounds all fine and dandy, "we have the power to choose instead of just accepting monopolized violence" but if that is the heart of AC in many cases it's unbelievably impractical.

Maybe this is an US thing where the government is so screwed. In other smaller countries state actually does do some things pretty well and most importantly, state in many cases is practical and it does not require all these "ifs" and "supposedlys" and naiive assumptions about the power of choice.

[ QUOTE ]
My hope is that the release of creative energy made possible by the Industrial Revolution, together with the rapid increase in standard of living which resulted for the working classes, and the accompanying social mobility that upset traditional hierarchies, has made a ruling class impossible without the aid of a centralized state.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had to paste this in. That's a beatiful way of thinking. If only money grew on trees. Now go play with these utopian assumptions somewhere else and let the adults actually handle the serious matters.

[/ QUOTE ]
What a worthless post.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was provocative, yes. Anarcho-capitalism is an attractive philosophy but the way some of you are touting it as the best damn thing ever since Jesus is silly. And it's so damn impractical. Put your AC into the test of the real world and it doesn't last a day. A fine working free market would be nice in all areas of life but the trust that the free market you're after is actually a possibility in this world is ridiculous. "Free market" can be so easily manipulated that it isn't such a "free" market after all.