View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Cooking Knives thread

[ QUOTE ]
I love cooking, but i've never had the opportunity (or been forced to) live out of a place i hadn't already had furnished.

Now it is time to buy some knives; I have money, but i am very about 'value for money'. I am probably looking to spend max 800 on a set of serious cooking knives to keep for life.

Any recommendations? Obviously lower than that price is great. What companies should i be looking at etc? Should I be looking at those knives that sharpen when you put them in the block? Etc etc.

EDF COOKS, HELP ME!!! (OR I WILL BE FORCED TO EAT EGGS FOREVER!).

[/ QUOTE ]
Count me in the don’t buy a set club.

You really only need 2 knives in the kitchen: A good 8 inch Chef’s (Start with an 8, go bigger when you’re more comfortable) and a 4 inch paring knife. Everything else is optional. If you want to add, I’d suggest a flexible boning knife (great for fish and butchering beef tenderloins) and a serrated slicer. My favorite slicer is the Wusthof Classic 10 inch Super slicer.

It has a wavy serration that is softer than a typical bread knife so it is excellent for breads, meats, cakes and even soft cheeses. When looking at a bread knife get one that’s curved not flat like the Henkel show earlier in the tread. I had one of these for years and was always barking my knuckles on the cutting board. BTW forged bread/slicer/boning knives are a waste of money. First a boning knife needs to be flexible and you’re not going to pry /split beef bones with a bread knife so you don’t keen the strength of a forged knife here

Best advice as to which one. Go buy bag of carrots and visit a store that will allow you to try various chef’s knives. Cut/slice/dice with each knife and buy the one that feels best in your hand regardless of manufacturer.

The other useful cutting tool needed in the kitchen: a good pair of kitchen scissors not shears- big difference. A knife steel for keeping you blades sharp and in true.