View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Your fav. Dad-stories

Hi TLDR. Father's Day is just about here, so i thought it might be a nice spot here to share some stories about our Dad's that make us laugh, make us happy, etc etc.

I don't have any really great ones, just maybe one or two good ones.

My dad was a really gifted math/science student. He had like, the 3rd highest score on some national high school math exam in Taiwan and earned a PhD from Brown in Physics and was a VP at a company which made power plant simulators. Myself, I struggled in college and ended up finishing my degree in night school. I'd never been a diligent student and generally felt like I must've been a big disappointment to him. I don't recall the specific occasion but this one time, he sat me down and told me not to feel bad about it. He told me that he had that Ivy-experience and didn't think there was anything particularly special about it, so he didn't feel like I was missing out on something important. I've always appreciated him giving me that talk...

Another time, his assistant at his company had some overseas calls that were not sanctioned and rather expensive. He called her into his office to rebuke her, but when he started by saying there had been some calls, the assistant broke down. She cried and told my dad she was having terrible problems with her family overseas and she shouldn't have called, etc. etc.

My dad didn't anticipate this and told her it was OK...that in the future, don't make calls overseas from that company phone. He told her she should come into his office and make the calls from there, because he was an executive and no one one question him making those calls. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

You guys have any good dad-stories?