View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Question for David Sklansky or other probability/poker theory experts

BobK, you're a total jerk. You think you know how to play and talk about how stupid my play and it's all simply because you don't understand it. You make me sick.

However I will control myself and explain to you why my play was right.

[ QUOTE ]

Was he an overall winner calling with those hands against you?

[/ QUOTE ]

He won some of my money, but not by outplaying me. I think I made that clear.

[ QUOTE ]
These foolish non-adapters were the ones that took him for 800bb while you were losing 150bb to him. Do I have that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you're not getting that I had way more advantage than them over him, I just got very unlucky.

[ QUOTE ]
So, you intentionally made the pots large at the beginning while playing mediocre hands. All the while knowing you were going to get played with. Do I have that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I intentionally made pots larger while I had the best hand, and while I knew that I would completely control the betting from then on, giving me huge implied odds, yes. I don't know what you mean by getting played with. He wasn't a tricky player. I said multiple times he rarely bet any significant amount.

[ QUOTE ]
So, you started by making the pot big and then betting small, thereby giving him correct drawing odds. Do I have that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't have it right. I'd bet 1.5 times the pot @ flop. Then I'd bet 0.75 times the pot at turn. Then I'd bet half the pot at river. If the board was drawy, I'd bet even more. I simply bet smaller later on because I knew that's how I'd get him to pay me with total garbage. And I would only bet smaller than that if a large percentage of our stacks were already in, so I wasn't laying him good odds.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I didn't flop a pair I would check it and call if the odds were good enough (which they almost always were).

[/ QUOTE ]
You made the pot large to begin with by raising mediocre hands, so you could call with nothing on the flop. Do I have that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not reading what I said. His bets were almost always a min 1bb bet. It didn't make a difference how large the pot was. In fact the larger the pot, the more likely I'd have the correct odds to call.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Until I did hit a pair, then started betting. A lot of times I'd bet ace high for value on the flop, too.

[/ QUOTE ]Then you let the guy know where you were at by betting out when you caught something. Is that right?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's correct, I was giving my hand away. But again you're overlooking the fact that this particular opponent didn't think about what I had. It's not really giving your hand away if your opponent won't notice or won't alter his play because of it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hand after hand I kept confirming my play was correct, only hand after hand I kept getting sucked out.

[/ QUOTE ]You confirmed this how? By paying him off hand after hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, by paying off his 1bb bets in 120bb pots... Sometimes paying off a bet larger than that, up to 1/3 of the pot by the river, he almost never bet more than that if the pot was that large. Or checking it down... Or having him call my 1/4 pot bet with a made straight, or whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
Suckouts happen, but from what you said above about betting small after the flop because otherwise he wouldn't call, I wonder about your perception of the odds you were really laying him in most of the situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I wasn't betting "small". You're not reading what I said.