View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Cooking Knives thread

I have to disagree about not buying a set. I'm a fairly serious cook and have used this 9-piece Henckels set (the block is counted as a piece) for over 10 years.

Henckels 4 Star 9-Piece Set

There is no knife in this set that I don't use, and the scissors are sometimes the most important thing in the kitchen, plus they're really good.

Now, I'll admit the set is not perfect, but for $335 or so, it's hard to do better. If I were putting my own set together, I suppose I could swap out a few knives, but it would cost a heck of a lot more, and since I have a few slots left in the block, it's actually easier (and cheaper) to just add a knife or two, but I've never felt the need to.

Now, at this price point there are a lot of options, and personal preference will take over on which is the best, but you'll be hard pressed to come up with anything decent for less money. Knives are just expensive, so research them before you jump in.

Finally, no real set of knives will include steak knives, just skip those immediately. I would recommend pick up a set of Oxo steak knives, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. Great deal, cuts steak like butter, and way cheaper than some of the high end knives. I generally recommend anything Oxo for kitchen stuff, but occasionally you'll find something better in another line. Never tried their pro knives, might be worth a look though, but I'm guessing for knives you should stick with Henckels, Wusthof, etc.