View Single Post
Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Prove Poker is a Skill Game?

"Real coin tossing seems all chance, but even here, a knowledgeable person can get an edge in this game. "

I don't understand this point at all. How does one get any significant edge in coin flips? How does knowledge about coin flips affect the outcome?

There are only two ways I can think of:
1. The fact that the "heads" side is like 0.0001% heavier than the tales side. But I don't think this edge is significant in any way unless you plan on coin flipping with a guy for the next 10 years straight.
2. You could theoretically project the outcome of a coin flip given all the factors of the coin flip, force, velocity, angle, absorbtion of the ground, etc. But even then it'd be hard to account for any unforseen factors and I doubt anyone could make that exact calculation in the 2 seconds it takes to see the outcome.

I played at a table recently and a guy offered me 2 to 1 odds on coin flips (he'd pay $20 for a loss, while I only have to put up $10). Easy money right? We flipped 5 times. ....I lost ALL FIVE! I guess I just wasn't knowledgeable enough.